Good Evening, Class!

Welcome Students, Parents, Alumni (and the NSA)! I don't just work from 6:45 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. I'm apt to be thinking about something for class at any time of the day or night. So I decided to start "THS After Hours" as a way of extending our day. If you're new at the blog, the most recent entries are at the top of the page, and they get older and older as you go down the page. Just like archaeology.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Julie Taymor is a Genius. . .

and Joe Roth is a putz.

Who's Julie Taymor? Ever see the stage version of The Lion King? That was her vision. Those were her puppets. (Some of my long time fans will remember "Fool's Fire", her dramatization of the Edgar Allan Poe story "Hop Frog.") The best filmed verson of Shakespeare that I've ever seen is Titus, Taymor's version of Titus Andronicus. (If you're good, maybe I'll show you some of it.)

Joe Roth. Well, he's the genius who directed Christmas with the Cranks and Revenge of the Nerds II.

Taymor just finished directing a new movie, Across the Universe, a "psychadelic love story set to Beatles' music. The studio (Joe Roth), decided it was too long, and that it should be cut down, and that Roth was just the man to do it.

Taymor does not have final cut. (Very few directors do). She's so outraged that she may take her name off the whole project. Stay tuned.

I'd trust Julie on this one.

Update: Not so fast, says Nikki Finke in the LA Weekly.

Here's what four civilians who have seen it have to say (courtesy of Internet Movie DataBase).

And here's the website, where you can watch the trailer.

(I'm still going with Julie.)

1 comment:

Leah Ross said...

I am sooooooooooo excited for this film.
1) It is based off beatles music.
2) From the trailer, it seems more like a movie piece of artwork than a film.

I hope its artistic integrity is preserved.