Good Evening, Class!

Welcome Students, Parents, Alumni (and the NSA)! I don't just work from 6:45 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. I'm apt to be thinking about something for class at any time of the day or night. So I decided to start "THS After Hours" as a way of extending our day. If you're new at the blog, the most recent entries are at the top of the page, and they get older and older as you go down the page. Just like archaeology.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

All: "Into the Silence"

There's a new movie out -- well, if you live in the Big Apple. It might get to Cinema City, maybe CineStudio at Trinity (a great place to go see a movie, by the way. It's got a balcony!). Perhaps Real Art Ways. (Actually, it is -- beginning May 4th!) Fortunately, there's video, now, so the two or three of us who might want tot se this movie will get a chance to, where it's not economically feasiable other. (That's what they call "The Long Tail", but that's a whole 'nother story.)

Anyway, the movie is called Into Great Silence. It's about a bunch of monks who almost never talk. (Maybe because part of what I do for a living is talk, I'm drawn to the idea of voluntary silence.)

So, that immediately put a musical phrase into my head: "in-to the silence" from one of my top five all-time songwriters, Van Morrison. (If you made me choose a number one, I'd probaly name him.) Of course, I was misremembering the actual lyric, which is "hymns to the silence"

But whatever. Call it kismet, call it serendipity, call it wyrd. I put "into the silence" into Google, and came up with this poem by e. e. cummings.

up into the silence the green
silence with a white earth in it

you will(kiss me)go

out into the morning the young
morning with a warm world in it

(kiss me)you will go

on into the sunlight the fine
sunlight with a firm day in it

you will go(kiss me

down into your memory and

a memory and memory

i)kiss me,(will go)


Now I'm not a huge fan of e. e. cummings, but I thought this one was lovely, and I wanted to share it with you.

(I like to think that certain poems/stories/movies are meant for certain people, and sometimes I'm the postman chosen to make the delivery. So I don't know which of you is supposed to have this, but here it is.)

No comments: